Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
The Purposeful Pursuit to a Beautiful You: As a makeup artist I know women desire to feel beautiful, that’s why they call me. They call me during the occasions they believe it most important to look and feel their best.
I help women achieve this beauty by the skill and technique of hair design and makeup application. My desire has been for women to experience a continued feeling of beauty even after they step outside of my chair, the night is over, and makeup and hair is washed off and out.
Applying makeup, getting your hair “did”, putting on your best pieces of jewelry, and best-suited pieces of clothing are all wonderful ways to feel beautiful even on the inside. That means wearing beautifully blended makeup that accents your features and brings out your natural beauty, wearing clothes that fit your body, vibrant beautiful colors that lift your mood; all of these pieces are so important to feeling beautiful.
However, if these are the only ways that you are focusing on feeling beauty they won’t be very long-lasting.
We have to remember, beauty is a mindset!
1. In order to experience that long-lasting effect of beauty, it begins with self-love. Feeling beautiful starts with first feeling unconditional love for yourself. I know self-love can be overrated but it really is one of the most broken commandments there is. God tells us to Love thy neighbor as yourself. That means we have to learn how to love ourselves before we can be a true catalyst of love for others. We begin the journey of loving ourselves by first discovering who we are, what we really feel, and what we really want out of our lives. Do you have a deep appreciation for who you are and what God has created you to be? Love yourself as you are right now!
2. Positive Self Talk: This is another area that we must be very aware of. We should be communicating with ourselves as gently as we would with a small child that doesn’t know better. We show compassion, we give leeway, and we are quick to forgive. Negative self-talk can run rampant and we must begin displaying self-compassion toward ourselves in order to maintain that inner feeling of beauty.
3. Preparing yourself to be a receiver: Yes, I’m talking about receiving the good in our lives. Sometimes people say that they want to feel beautiful, but instead of accepting a compliment we are quick to deflect one. This is disastrous to our ability to manifest beauty in our lives. God can’t give you what you won’t receive. We have to mentally and spiritually be prepared to receive all the beautiful things that God has laid out for us in family, career, finances and life in general.
4. Intentionally bring joy to others: When you get outside of your own issues and disappointments and focus on bringing others joy your issues don’t seem as big anymore. You can find beauty in serving others the way God has destined you to.
You also get an instant mood boost. Bringing joy can be as simple as intentionally going out of your way to make your family laugh or as serious as feeding the hungry. Learn what ways you desire to bring joy! This also means leave judgments at the door. We can’t bring joy to others when we are in judgment mode.
5. Practice an attitude of gratitude: When we find small things to be grateful for we realize how much we have and that makes for a beautiful life inside and out. If you know me as a mother, homeschooler, and business owner, you already know how I feel about how the mindset of gratitude and its effects on manifesting beauty in our lives.
When we see the things that we truly desire manifesting in our lives we feel great, we feel worthy, we feel gratitude. Unfortunately, the cycle of manifesting works a little backward. We have to feel gratitude and greatness within ourselves first, in order to attract the great outcomes we truly desire. Manifesting can be a tricky game, so the simple act of intentional gratitude is definitely a first step to experiencing beauty on the inside and out.
6. Unplug from social media and societal norms of beauty and turn inward: Yes, this means get off the social media and turn off the TV. We should be spending a minimum of an hour a day with ourselves tuning into ourselves and listening to what God has to say to us in our spirits. He’s speaking words of love and encouragement to us daily. We have a lot of noise polluting the messages of beauty and love he wants to manifest in our lives.
Bonus: engage in spontaneous travel:
This does wonders for feeling beautiful and confident. Don’t worry about bringing a friend. Go alone if you have to. If forces you to explore, venture out, and make decisions on your own. This year I have the itch to travel to France. I’ve been researching all the beautiful places I’d love to go to and taking account of all the wonderful activities I’d like to do. This action of alone of mapping out what I want has increased my confidence!
We feel beautiful inside and out when our life and presence truly reflect our values and our beliefs. You have to be intentional about your lIfestyle design and it truly begins with having a heart for God as he helps you co-create this design.
When we have alignment in the things we say we desire to do and the things we actually do a beautiful soulful alignment begins to emerge. So yes, put forth the effort in your outer beauty routine but also take actions to also design a life that is beautiful through, self-love, positive self-talk, receiving, bringing joy, practicing gratitude, unplugging from societal norms, and having fun with spontaneous travel which allows you to see the world in a different perspective.